« December 2003 | Main | February 2004 »

January 27, 2004

Start Listening

Noah had a pretty rough afternoon. Well, to be more specific, Misty had a really bad afternoon because Noah just wouldn't listen.

For the past couple of days, Noah has decided that he isn't going to listen or do what he is supposed to at Tae Kwon Do. I know, he is only three, but he does know this stuff and, as far as we can tell, he is enjoying it. He isn't required to do a lot... Paying attention during the warmups usually isn't that hard for him. He usually does pretty well. The biggest things are that he has to acknowledge when the masters speak to him by saying "Yes, Sir!". When the masters ask him his name, he has to respond with "Noah, Sir!". When they ask him how old he is, he has to yell "Three, Sir!". You get the picture. Its not that complicated and he knows the answers.

Since he has gotten his yellow belt, he is also expected to learn the form that he will have to know to move on. Tae Kwon Do forms are simply basic movements that are key for when you start sparring. Noah knows the form. I have seen him teaching his stuffed animals how to do it.

Today, though, Master Justin and Master Ryan had enough of Noah not doing what he is supposed to do. I wasn't there to see it, but I guess he would not participate in the warmups and did not cooperate with the masters at all.

Noah got demoted.

Misty was probably more upset over the situation than Noah was. When I talked to him, he told me that he had lost his yellow belt and that Master Justin wasn't happy. When I asked him why he had lost his yellow belt, he told me it was because he wasn't listening. He also told me that he was going back to Tae Kwon Do today to get his yellow belt back.

He did go back and did what he was supposed to do. Master Justin gave him his belt back, but he did let him know that he was going to lose it again if he acted up.

Hopefully, this will get him to start listening a little better.

January 25, 2004

... on the boat

Have you ever seen that commercial that Disney has about their cruise line? The basic gist of the commercial is that this little girl, probably about 4 years old, is on an elevator and is telling everyone about her Disney Cruise . One of the people on the elevator asks the girls' mother if they had just gotten back. The mother tells her fellow passengers that it had been a year since they had been on that trip.

It is a really cute commercial and I can tell you that it is 100% accurate. It hasn't been a year since we came back from our Disney Cruise, but Noah mentions it at least once a day. I know that he had a good time on the boat, but I didn't know that he would be so completely enamored by it.

Tonight, he was eating popcorn. Out of the blue, he started talking about the popcorn on the boat and how he didn't want Mommy to eat it. Yesterday, we were getting ready to go out to eat and we asked Noah where he wanted to go. He said he wanted to go get pasta, just like when we were on the boat. And then he asked if Sasa was going to be there. Sasa was the lead server for our table and always treated Noah very well. I guess that sort of stuck.

The funniest thing about all of this is that Noah expects to go back. Not only does he expect to go back, he is already packing for it. He had his own little carry on bag that we got him to take and he has already started putting things in his bag for "when we go on our trip". If you ask him where we are going, he says on an airplane and then on a boat.

Looks like we had better start saving...

January 22, 2004

Disappointing Day

Ever have one of those days that just doesn't work out the way that you hoped it was going to. That was mine today.

My day started out today with the phone ringing. When the phone rings at 6:30AM, there aren't a lot of things that can be good. Today, it was that our day care provider was sick and that Noah was going to have to stay home. Not that staying home with Noah was disappointing. It just throws off the whole grove of things. I stayed with Noah until 10:30 and then Misty came home to take over.

From there, I went to a meeting that I had been looking forward for about a couple of weeks. It was supposed to be a roundtable of peers discussing different technologies. These meetings are supposed to be completely non-sales and are to focus on technology problems and solutions. Oddly enough, this is the type of thing that I really enjoy. Today, though, the primary speaker was some idiot from a company that put up a 2 hour sales pitch. Very disappointing, but I did get a free lunch out of the deal.

After that, I went back to the office to finish up the day. I had to handle the same boring stuff that I have had to handle for the last couple of weeks.

When I got home, Misty told me that Noah did not do well at all in Tae Kwon Do. He is only three, but he had been doing very well. In fact, he had almost gotten completely through all of his yellow belt forms on Tuesday. Misty said that Master Justin actually threatened to take his yellow belt away today. Again, very disappointing, but he is only three.

The last thing I was looking forward to today was my Tae Kwon Do class. I really wanted to go kick something. At the end of the day, that really makes me feel better. Today, when I got there, the instructor told me that I would not be able to go to the Thursday classes for the next month or so because they are going to be training for the Junior Olympics. I really think that is cool, but I am going to miss my Thursday classes. I was going to go ahead and work out tonight, but even that didn't work out. I didn't even work up a sweat. Disappointing, but there will be more classes.

Oh, well. Pity party over. Tomorrow is Friday.

January 16, 2004

Fowled Out

Misty and I make it a point to never say that we dislike any food in front of Noah. We had decided that this was going to be the way that it happened long before he was born.

The reason for this is that it has been a pet peeve of mine for as long as I can remember hearing from people that they don't like something that they haven't tried. I have always been a very open minded person when if comes to trying new things and it has led me to find quite a few odd things that I really like.

The result of us not saying this in front of Noah has been productive. He likes a lot of things that kids his age say they don't like because they haven't experienced them. For example, he likes pickles and he likes Tobasco sauce. When we first started eating out with him, I refused to order him a plain hamburger. Let him decide. Now, we usually order it without onions because he decided that he doesn't like raw onions. That is fine with me... he has tried them. As long as he has at least tasted it, I am fine.

This leads me, though, to why I am bringing this up today. I went to a new Thai restaurant today. While I was eating my soup, I found this round thing about the size of the yolk of a hard boiled egg in my soup. I pulled it out of the soup and tried to stab it with my fork... It was rubbery. It was completely white with no markings. My assumption was that it wasn't an eyeball and that it wouldn't be in my soup if it wasn't edible, so I ate it. When I bit in to it, it popped. It was salty and had kind of a metallic taste to it. It wasn't completely disgusting, just not all that great.

It was at that point that I asked the waitress what it was. She went in to the kitchen and returned with someone else to tell me what it was.

It was a soft-boiled quail egg.

I have been thinking about it ever since lunch.

What I can say... I won't make Noah try it. If he decides he doesn't like it without tasting it, I'll deal with it.

January 06, 2004


The boy and I are going 'round and 'round right now and today has been especially frustrating.

When he woke up this morning, he immediately started throwing a fit. I'm not sure what it was about and it went on for about 15 minutes. After he calmed down, we got him dressed. That wasn't that bad.

Then, he started to throw a fit because I wasn't going to take him to daycare today. Misty was going to take him after he got his second flu shot.

I went to pick him up from daycare and then took him to Tae Kwon Do. He did really well yesterday when Misty took him, but he didn't do all that well today. Today he didn't pay attention to Master Justin and didn't follow any directions. It was probably because I was there and was a distraction to him, but it still was a bit frustrating.

When we got home, we went back on the potty training kick. Yesterday, he did really well. Not a single accident. Today, 5 minutes after I took his diaper off, he had an accident. Normally, I would have no problems with that, but he decided to have his accident in my recliner. He soaked it and then he laughed about it.

Finally, he has been trying to find any reason to stay awake longer than he is supposed to. Normally, he goes to bed around 8:30. He gets one story and then it is bed time. Recently he has been picking longer and longer books, which I don't really discourage, but I do wish he would pick shorter books. He also has been asking any question or for anything that he can think of to stay up. It really tries the patience.

Hopefully tomorrow Noah will wake up happy. Hopefully tomorrow the chair will be dry.

Hopefully my patience will go a little further.

January 04, 2004

Year In Review

2003 is over.

It was a very busy year for Noah. He has grown quite a bit and gotten a lot more hard headed. The changes are amazing

At the beginning of the year, Noah didn't speak much... Now we can't get him to stop talking. Even when we beg.

At the beginning of the year, Noah was a little boy. I know that he still is a little boy, but he seems to be much bigger.

The changes are still coming, faster than I want to see them.

2004 has been pretty good to us, so far. We are only 4 days in 1% of the way done.

Hopefully, I'll keep things updated up here a little better than I have...