« February 2004 | Main | April 2004 »

March 28, 2004

Really, I'm not dead...

I'm not dead.

I haven't fallen off the face of the Earth.

I have just been too busy to do much of anything, let alone update the site.

I have been traveling for the last two weeks. This week, I will so some minor traveling on Monday and Tuesday, but I'll be back for the rest of the week. It is going to be good to be back in town for a while.

Right now, it does looks like I am going to be hitting the road again in about three weeks. This time, the destination is Amsterdam. Yes, the Amsterdam in the Netherlands. It is going to be an exciting trip, but like any other travel I have to do for work, I am not completely looking forward to it. That and the 14 hour flight.

I really want to get back to the normal, boring life that I used to have.

March 20, 2004

The Park

It was a beautiful day here today.

Noah came in at 6:15 as usual, but I really didn't have a big issue getting up with him. After being away for a week, if felt pretty good having him wake me up and bug me to go downstairs and get him fruitsnacks.

After we managed to get around, we headed up to a place called the Deana Rose Farmstead. It is a large petting zoo that is pretty close to our house. We spent lunch telling Noah about the different animals that he was going to see. We really talked it up. There were quite a few cars in the parking lot when we got there, so I was sure we were going to have to wait to see some of the animals... Boy was I right.

Deana Rose does not reopen until April 1. All the cars were from people at the park next to the farm. After some consultation, Noah decided that he wanted to go over to the park and play. He ran around like a mad man. Climbing up little climby things and sliding down the slides. He was really enjoying himself.

We spent about an hour there before we decided it was time to head home, although not without a great deal of complaint from Noah. He really wanted to stay.

We will head back, and hopefully next time it will be open.

March 18, 2004


Well, I am three days into a four day trip and I really want to be home.

First of all, I really miss Noah and Misty. Every time that I see my home number come across caller id on my cell phone, I know that Noah is going to be on the other side and the first thing he is going to say that he wants me to come home. That is hard to hear. I have said it before, but I like the fact that he misses me and I hate it at the same time.

Secondly, I am traveling solo on this trip and I have nothing to do. After I am done at work, I head to the hotel, grab some food and a beer and then head to the room. It gets kinds of monotonous, but I am really not the type to go out, so here I am.

The good news is that the Miami deal fell through to do a miscommunication on the client side. In truth, I am not all that upset by that. On a personal level, I really don't mind at all. On a business side, I am disappointed from the loss of revenue, but we will survive.

Anyway, it is getting late here and I need to get some sleep.

March 14, 2004

This Weekend

This ended up being a pretty long weekend.

Friday was Bunco night. That usually means that Noah and I hang out with my uncle while they women go out and gossip about whatever they gossip about. Part of the evening was spent going to FedEx to pick up the new camera and most of the rest of it was spent reading the instruction manual and playing with it. So far, I am really impressed. I'll get some test shots up here soon.

Saturday was the start of Noah and my bachelor time. Misty went to meet up with her mother to see a concert and stayed the night outside of Topeka. We didn't burn down the house and stayed out of other trouble.

Misty came home today and I think she was pleasantly surprised that we stayed on top of laundry. In fact, we had almost finished it.

Later on in the day was when I found out the major thing that made the weekend long... I got a call from one of my clients that wants me to go to Miami. While in and of itself, that is pretty cool. The problem is that they want me to go there for 3 months. I would get to come home on the weekends, but I'd be gone all week. It really sucks, but unfortunately, I don't have a lot of choice in it. I am not billing right now and I can't handle sitting in the office, so it looks like I am heading to Miami. Hopefully it won't be all that bad. I just hate to leave Noah and Misty that much. When it was just Misty and I, it wasn't as bad. In a lot of ways, we used to operate independently during the week and the came together on the weekends. Now, with Noah, it is completely different. Now we each have to do our parts to keep the house together during the week and having part of that gone is bound to throw a wrench in the works. One thing I can say, Misty does it a lot better than I ever could. She has the ability to balance it all and still come out on top.

Time to start looking forward for this week.

March 10, 2004

Camera Update

Just got an email on the camera...

It shipped today!

Rookie Mistake

I made a seriously rookie mistake yesterday...

Misty and I have been looking at new digital cameras for a while now. Our old digital is just way to slow to handle shooting a fast moving three-year-old and our film camera was just too expensive to shoot lots of pictures...

Anyway, we decided on the Sony Cyber Shot DSC-F828. It looks like a really good combination of everything that we needed.

Becuase of the fairly hefty price tag, we decided we were going to wait until next month to purchase it, but I started laying the groundwork by searching out the best prices and figuring out what the shipping was going to cost. I found one site that had the camera at a great price. I added it to my cart and went to check out, which on most sites is what you have to do to get your shipping quote. Anyway, the site had me create an account, which included a credit card number. I didn't have a real issue with that because quite a few sites have you do that...

When I pressed the button to proceed to the checkout, I expected to get an order confirmation screen that had the information on it and the ability to bail out of the transaction at that point. What I got was an order confirmation screen with a header that said, "Congratulations on your Purchase..." I must have misread the screens as I was going through the process. I was a little shocked, but I figured that I could cancel it if I needed to.

When I got home, I told Misty about the situation and she had two reactions... First, she called me an idiot. I agreed with that. I have been shopping on the Internet way too long to have made that type of mistake. Then she said we should go ahead and keep the order going because we were going to buy it anyway... What a woman!

I got a call from the company and the camera will be shipping out tomorrow...

I always love to get new toys!

March 08, 2004

Weekend Update

Noah had a very exciting weekend. We went back to Hays and for the first time, we stayed at Misty's father's house for the first time since we got married.

Noah couldn't stop talking about it the whole week. He really likes to go see Grandpa Al because he has really big machines. You see, Misty's dad farms and Noah really likes to go out in the tractor. And Noah knew that he had a new thing to ride on this time... a semi truck that he uses to haul grain during harvest. Grandpa Al was looking forward to having us stay there, too. Mostly because he knew Noah was going to go out on the tractor. He had the tractor in the shop last week and made sure that they were going to have it done by the time that we got there.

On Sunday, Noah, Al and I all got into the tractor and went out in to the pasture. Al drove for a while before he asked Noah if he wanted to help. At first Noah was a little reluctant, but when he crawled up on Grandpa's lap and started turning the wheel, he was hooked. He spend about a half hour driving around in circles and chasing jack rabbits. Then he decided he was done and Al asked me if I wanted to drive the tractor. Before I could answer, Noah looked and Grandpa Al and said that I couldn't drive because I was too heavy. He thought I was going to get on his lap like Noah had been. About that time, Noah decided that he wanted to go back to the shed and get out he semi. Noah has never been in a semi and he was a little scared when Al first fired it up. We were in a Quonset hut and the exhaust was pretty loud. Al is still perfecting his semi driving skills and, at one point, he used a choice expletive to express his displeasure in his driving skills. He promptly corrected himself, but I knew that Noah soaked it up.

We got back and put the semi away and got ready to leave. After we got on the road, Noah was explaining to Misty what it was like to ride in the semi... He talked about the noise and then he explained how Grandpa ground some gears on the semi and then told us how Grandpa said those choice words. Misty and I looked at each other and laughed... What else could we do?

Noah has been talking about riding in the tractor and the semi ever since we got home. Looks like Noah and Grandpa Al will be out wasting more fuel again.

Blog Spam

I have been having a lot of issues with blog spam over the last couple of weeks. I don't know if any of you have seen it, but it has been really annoying for me having to go in and clean it all out...

To try to get around this, I have installed some new software on the server that should help clean it up. If you are someone who is trying to post a legitimate comment and it blocks you, you can email me and I'll see what I can do to open it up.

If you are a spammer, then please take the next elevator to hell... As I have mentioned before, I think there is a special place in hell for anyone that spams and I hope it is hot.

March 02, 2004

You're Being Paged

Misty and I have been trying to take turns getting Noah up to bed. It doesn't always work, because he is pretty opinionated in that matter. If he feels like Daddy that night, then it is going to be daddy. The same goes for Mommy.

A couple of weeks ago, Noah asked for me after Misty had gone through the normal bedtime ritual. Misty yelled downstairs that I was being paged.

Now, this has become Noah's new thing. He just yells that we are being paged and expects us to come running.

Gotta run... I have just been paged.

March 01, 2004

Kinda Skunky

I am really at a loss for words tonight. Just a little bit of information for anyone that is going to be coming up to my house in the next couple of hours...

There is a skunk in a metal box on the right side of my front door. Yes, it is alive. Yes, it is pissed off for being locked in a metal box.

Beware of skunk.