« July 2004 | Main | September 2004 »

August 24, 2004

Turn It Down...

We had some pretty strong thunderstorms come through last night. From about 9:00 until around 1:30, it seemed like one solid roll of thunder.

Around 11:30 or so, there was one that took less than a second from lightening strike to thunder. It was really loud.

I figured that I should go in and check on Noah. He usually sleeps through storms without a problem, but I wanted to make sure.

I went in to his room and he was sitting up in bed. I figured that the thunder had scared him. I asked him if he was OK and he just looked at me and said, "Daddy, it is really loud out there."

I chuckled a bit and agreed. I asked him if it scared him and he told me that he wasn't, but he wanted the thunder to be quieter.

He then told me that he was going to stay in his room and I should stay in mine. Then he laid back down and closed his eyes.

He did stay in bed the rest of the night, so I guess it didn't bother him at all.

August 23, 2004


I have been a member of various loyalty programs for quite a while.

There have been frequent flyer programs and car discount programs. These really don't get me much. Airline miles are pretty much useless and car discount programs really don't get you all that much.

I did find one recently that is actually worth it. It is called Upromise and based on what you buy at the grocery store and eating at certain restaurant, they put money into a college fund. Not only do your purchases count, you can also get friends and family to sign up as well. So far, in about 3 months, we have managed to put about $35.00 in Noah's account. And that is without trying...

Just pretty cool stuff.

Oh, yeah... If anyone wants to help me out, post here and I'll send you an invite.

August 22, 2004

Royals Win!

Let's face it.. the fact that the Royals won a game seems important enough to warrant a post. But todays win was especially important because we were all there.

Misty and I took Noah to the game today. I wish I could say that it was his first game, but it wasn't. It was his first game with us, though.

It was hilarious to watch him during the game... I know that he doesn't understand the game, but he really got in to it with the rest of the crowd. There were times when he was really intense. He even heckled the umpire a little bit. We all know the real reason that he wanted to go to the game, though... hotdogs!

He really wanted a foam finger, and I couldn't tell him no. After we got him the finger, he really got into cheering. In the eighth inning, the Royals were up 10 - 0 and the Rangers started scoring... For those of you that follow Royals baseball, this is where things usually unravel... The did score a couple of runs, and Noah couldn't bear to watch. They held on, though.

When we got home, I wanted to get some pictures of Noah playing around in the front yard... I got some good shots.

Can you smell the cheese?
Check out my molars.
Yeah, I'm cute.
OK. maybe just a little more than cute..
Alright... I'm the cutest ever.
What a stance...
And he's got follow through, too.
Demon Spawn.
And, I'm done.

We had a lot of fun... I'm sure that we are going to be heading back again. Maybe even this year... There is one more Sunday afternoon game this year.

August 21, 2004

Bad Night

Noah had a pretty bad night.

He didn't get a nap in today, so that was probably the main cause of the issue. He started getting pretty cranky around 7:00 or so. I could tell at that point that it was going to be an interesting evening.

Instead of slowing down at all, though, he just kept getting more and more active. And, of course, he stopped listening.

Finally, about 8:00, he threw on the final straw. He kicked the dog. At that point, I just told him that it was time to go upstairs.

He started kicking and screaming and it didn't stop. I tried to get him into bed and it just wasn't working. I was getting mad and he was getting hysterical. I went down and asked Misty to try to get him into bed.

She went up and I could tell that she was having about as much luck as I was so I went back up to see if there was anything that I could do.

All it took was for me to kneel down next to his bed, give him a hug and tell him that he was going to be OK.

Less than 10 minutes later, he was asleep. Hopefully he stays that way.

August 20, 2004

Saint Louis Photos

If you read my other site, you know that we went to Saint Louis last week to go see a Wiggles concert. Aside from the excitement at the very beginning, we spent some time at The Gateway Arch.

Noah was pretty excited to get up into the arch and once we got up there, he had a good time hamming it up with Mommy and Dad.

On the day of the Wiggles concert, we stopped by Union Station. One of the most exciting things for Noah when we go there is feeding the fish. We spent about $4.00 feeding them and we had a veritable feeding frenzy going on.

All in all, it was a pretty good trip, although for Noah, it was a pretty tiring trip.

I'm sure that we will be heading back to Saint Louis again. This time, I may drive a tank, though.

August 19, 2004

I'm Not Daddy Anymore

Over the last few weeks, I have noticed that Noah has given up on calling me Daddy.

He pretty much always calls me Dad now. Not that this really bothers me, but it does show me that he is growing up.

Aside from that, there are also things that he is doing that make me realize that he is growing up. Aside from picking out his clothes, he pretty much dresses himself.

He is completely potty trained now. If he has to go, he just does. The only thing that he needs help with is wiping. I can't wait to hear him start yelling "I wipe my own butt" like the kid from Big Daddy.

I am going to have to face the facts that he isn't going to be my little boy for the rest of my life...

August 14, 2004

Locust Shells and Other Treasures

Noah has a small collection of treasures that he is building.

Right now his treasures consist of acorns, pine cones, a black walnut, a deformed hedge apple and some locust tree beans.

This afternoon, he told me that he wanted to go look for more treasures. Today, he wanted to go look for locust shells. For those of you that have no idea what that is, it is the shedded exoskeleton of a cicada. You can find them around here on trees and fences. We are a little early to find too many of them, but we went looking anyway. We looked at all of the trees and fence in the back yard and didn't find anything. I could tell he was starting to get a little upset, so we started to walk around to the front yard. As we got to the gate, something big flew over and landed right in front of us. It was a cicada.

Noah wanted to keep it, but he didn't want to touch it. So, I picked it up for him and brought it in the house. We went down into the basement and got a jar, poked some holes in the lid and put the cicada in there. We went outside and got some leaves to put in there, too.

So now Noah has been lugging around this jar all evening talking to it and calling it "Little Buddy".

He has already made plans to replace the leaves tomorrow and go looking for a friend for it.

We Need an Update!

OK. It has been a while since I updated, so here is a quick update about where things stand...

Noah is now potty trained! He has not had any accidents at all for close to a month. He is still wearing diapers at night, but that is because I want to make sure that we use them all up. He has stayed dry every night for months, but I just want to be careful.

Other than that, we are enjoying some great weather here. It has been in the 70s for the last couple of weeks. Nothing like what I would expect for August in Kansas. Right now, we should be 90s and 100s, so it has been great. The only problem is that we are getting a lot less pool time in. I think Noah is missing that a bit. And, to tell the truth, so am I.

Well, back to it...