« August 2004 | Main | October 2004 »

September 19, 2004

Lucky Luke

Misty and Noah have been lobbying me to get another dog for quite a while. This weekend, it happened.

It all started on Friday when Misty sent me an instant message that had a link to a site that had a picture of a dog. I finally told her OK. It was time.

On Saturday, we got up and went to the shelter. We looked at the dog that Misty had sent over, but he just didn't seem to click. So, instead, we started looking at another puppy. He is a heeler & lab mix.

Noah and Misty promptly fell in love and decided that he was the one. We filled out an application and paid our fee and he was ours. Noah decided to call him Luke.

On the way out of the shelter, I told Misty that I wanted to take him to the vet to get checked out before we took him home. Once we got there, the vet looked him over and got really concerned. She said he was running a fever, his stomach was distended and that he was dehydrated. She felt that he needed immediate intervention and a long list of tests to determine what was wrong. My first thought was that if the dog was sick, we should take him back to the shelter and get another dog. Then, I looked down at Noah and he asked me when Luke was going to get to go home. I was stuck between a rock and a hard place at that point. The doctor started to outline what she wanted to do and the price point for it. The estimate was $450.

$450!!! For a dog that has never even seen my house. I gulped and said OK and we left him there. Seven hours later, the whole time with me worrying that there was something horrifically bad with the dog, we got the call that all the tests had come back normal and that we could come and pick him up.

So, we went shopping. It has been a long time since we have had a puppy in the house and we needed to get a lot of stuff. We walked out with a kennel, food, toys, collar, leash, tag and treat. Oh, and about $300 more spent.

In total, our $95 pound puppy has become an $845 pet.

Here are some photos of our pricy pooch:

Noah & Sam... Before Luke
Luke Resting
Luke Sleeping
My, what big feet you have.

Noah is happy. Sam, our other dog, isn't quite sure what to think, but he is getting used to him.

Hey, its only money... right?

September 04, 2004


We went out to Davenport Winery today to help harvest grapes. We did it last year and Noah really had a blast.

We waited until last night to tell him that we were heading out there. This first thing he asked was if he got to wear his boots. That was a big deal for him last year. So, at 7:30 last night, we went shoe shopping. There wasn't a lot of selection, but we did manage to find him a pair of boots to wear this morning.

Picking today started at 8:00. Misty and I got up early so we could get showered and then woke Noah up at around 7:15. In an unusual turn of events, Noah got right out of bed and started getting dressed. It usually takes a stick of dynamite to get him out of bed in the mornings...

We piled in the truck and headed out there, but not before stopped to get some coffee at Starbucks. Noah got his usual... A tall decaf 120 degree latte. I always love watching people when he orders that.

Anyway, we got out there and Noah made it clear that he actually wanted to cut grapes today. I was a little leery about it because the nippers that we use to cut the grapes are very sharp. I made sure to warn him several times that it would hurt if he cut him self and he said that he would be careful, so we turned him loose and he started cutting. He really got in to it, except for the bugs that were out this morning. He kept telling me the bugs were out to get him.

I'm sure we'll be out there again soon. Noah enjoys himself way too much for us not to.